This mural honors the No. 1 British Flying Training School (BFTS) located here in Terrell. The flight training school was established in 1941 to train British flyers who, due to the Nazi blitz, could not train in England. The school operated until the end of WWII in 1945.
Terrell's Volunteer Fire Department had a long time relationship with the City of Terrell as the city’s only fire department for many years.
Born in Georgia, Oscar Colquitt learned the printing trade, moved to Daingerfield, Texas, founded the Pittsburg, Texas Gazette and published the Terrell, Texas Times-Star.
During World War II thousands of British pilots learned to fly at six civilian training schools in the United States. One of these schools was located in Terrell, Texas. After the United States entered the war, American Aviation Cadets also trained at the school.
Terrell was a great circus town, and the railroads made it easy for the circus to come to town. At times, the population of the town would double on circus day.
Charles Franklin Reaugh, born Dec 29, 1860, moved with his family to Terrell in 1876. He taught art in Terrell for a time. In 1890, he and his parents moved to Dallas where he established his “Ironsides” studio, but continued to visit Terrell until his death in 1945 at the age of 84. He is buried with his family at Oakland Memorial Cemetery in Terrell. Reaugh traveled the West, capturing scenes to be used in his realistic but poetic images of the vistas, Longhorn herds, and the cowboy life that was Texas. He concentrated on small pastel sketches of the wild and colorful Texas Longhorn. Reaugh once said “no animal on earth has the beauty of the Texas steer.” He studied art at the School of Fine Arts in St Louis, and at the Academie Julian in Paris, France. His paintings are displayed at the Harry Ransom Center at The University of Texas at Austin, Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon, Southwest Collection Library at Texas Tech University in Lubbock and the Texas Capitol Historical Art Collection in Austin.
The Terrell Mural Project is an on-going endeavor to portray the history of Terrell through art. Our goal is to bring Terrell's rich history to life through our murals which depict events of the early days of Terrell, and the building of our city.
We are grateful for the incredible talents of our artists:
Members of the Northeast Texas Fine Arts Alliance,
Sunny Delipsey and
and for the continued support of The City of Terrell.
The information for the BFTS mural was obtained from the No. 1 British Flying Training School Museum.
Historical information on the other murals was obtained largely from the book “Cap’n Terrell’s Town” written by Dr. Horace Flatt, and also from the Terrell Heritage Museum at 207 North Frances Street in Downtown Terrell. Dr. Flatt’s book may be purchased from the Terrell Heritage Museum or from Books and Crannies at 209 West Moore Avenue. All proceeds from the sale of the books go to the Terrell Heritage Museum.
For more information on the Terrell Mural Project, contact Gayle Harris at the address below.
209 West Moore Ave, Terrell, TX 75160